Thursday, March 25, 2004

Researching Posey

As I walked through the door of our home last evening, I almost collided with my wife and son. My two daughters peeked around the kitchen door with what I assumed was a, Dad's gonna get it and we want to witness what happens look. My wife's hands were on her hips; her brow was furrowed; her eyes were narrow slits, as if she was in great pain; and she was leaning slightly forward. All signs indicated she knew that, in spite of numerous warnings, I had once again left the shower curtain inside the basin.

I figured Spenser had given me up to save himself. I noticed that my son had that jackrabbit in the spotlight look, and was almost sure my conclusion was accurate. The boys' bathroom is our responsibility, and while mold and mildew don't bother Spenser and me, it really gets under Laurie's skin. As I began to formulate a plan to shift the blame back to my son, and come up with my own innocent look, Laurie wagged her finger at me and shook her head.

"It's not that", she said. As a sigh of relief escaped me, I gave Spenser my most blistering look and said, "What's he done now?" Laurie, Spenser and the girls all appeared irritated. I could see that my theatrics were ineffective and were also wearing thin, so I stopped my charade and just stood there waiting for the hammer to drop. When Laurie saw that I was ready to listen, she explained that Spenser and two of his classmates had a history fair project due in a few days. The problem was that they had not even started. Laurie said she had a church talk to prepare by Sunday and was unable to help him. Spenser jumped in at this point and began explaining that between regular school work, basketball practice, scouting, honors band, piano lessons, church projects and whatever else 14 year old boys do to fill their spare time, he was behind schedule.

I shook my head knowingly, and told Laurie that I could handle this; she seemed relieved. Turning to Spenser, I said, "You are off the basketball team mister! It's a silly game anyway, a bunch of skinny legged, undernourished, sissies running up and down a court, trying to throw a ball into a peach basket." I went on, "Now if you had been a wrestler like your old man, I might have written that report for you. Wrestling, now that's a mans sport!"

I looked to my wife for support and found none. The look on her face knocked me off of my soap box, and brought me back to reality. I directed Spenser down the stairs towards his room and the computer. I knew it was going to be a lesson in endurance for everyone involved. Spenser told me his group had chosen Posey, a local folk hero to the Ute tribe and a prickly individual to the locals, for their subject. Posey had been responsible for the last Indian war in the United States, and had given his life to the cause. Spenser said that his first choice was me, but his mother had nixed the idea, explaining that I wasn't antique enough. I don't know where that boy got such a smart mouth!

As Spenser, his friends and I immersed ourselves in the legend of Posey, we began to realize that there was a great deal of controversy and confusion about his life and death. Fortunately, there is a good body of information relating to him. Articles and personal histories written or told by local pioneers, Indians and historians provided more data than we could possibly digest. It was a good thing Laurie pitched in with her conscientious mothering skills to help finish the report, or more blood would have been spilled. The boys turned out a well researched, unbiased, balanced, "A" quality report.

In doing our research, we found that one of the best information resources for local history is Blue Mountain Shadows magazine. Numerous forward thinking individuals have taken the time to gather and publish volumes of local history. The published stories are fascinating, and full of personal perspective. Searching for information on Posey reintroduced me to the wonder of this periodical. During the process, I found an article about early Bluff by Michael T. Hurst that captured my attention.

The article speaks of Bluff, and the human suffering and sacrifice associated with its founding. What really hit home for me was Mr. Hurst's summation of Bluff's place in the historical record. In the article Mr. Hurst stated, "The persistent story of Bluff is not the story of it's settlement, not the story of the hardships endured there, and not the story of wonderful, innocent bygone days. The real story of Bluff is the story of the people who live there." For me, this statement best explains how I feel about San Juan County, Bluff and especially Twin Rocks Trading Post.

The people who walk through the front doors are what makes running this business so enjoyable and entertaining. It's a personable and heart warming experience to be a part of this adventure. Steve and I both find a great deal of satisfaction in what we do at the trading post. The relationships we have developed through the years are what we treasure most. Such are the rewards of endurance. One day we may even be antique enough to merit a history report.

Copyright©2004 Twin Rocks Trading Post

No comments: