Friday, March 8, 2019

Who, what, where, when, why, and sometimes how?


“How do you buy and sell these rugs, baskets, this jewelry . . . and why?” asked the grey-haired lady. I looked back into her steel-blue eyes and contemplated the nuances of her query. I had just spent the better part of an hour with her and her gentleman friend. Our discussion had revolved around the artists, their circumstance, the meaning behind their work, and quality comparisons. She had also come up with several questions based more on the economics of our situation than most. I felt her inquiries were based on open, honest curiosity, so I didn’t feel challenged by her direct approach. The couple were from Philadelphia; she was a retired marketing agent and he an investment banker, so their interest in such things came naturally. I decided there were so many unknown variables to her questions that I needed clarification.

“Break your questions down for me, please,” I asked. “I’m not sure I understand what you want to know.” The lady said, “Alright, but please don’t take offense. Marketing was my life for forty-plus years. I am the curious sort.” “Shoot,” I replied.

Her first question was an easy one. She wanted to know if we purchased the art or took it in on consignment. I told the inquisitive couple that we bought everything outright. “These artists live a very day-to-day lifestyle---they prefer to be paid up front,” I told them. “Like a lot of people, their money is spent before they make it. Cash flows like water between our fingers and theirs. Often times, we pay along the way, ahead of time, to make certain a project is completed.” Martha and her companion Hank laughed and quipped, “A heavy investment for you and your brother and much more of a risk.” “More than you know!” I thought to myself, thinking of Steve’s sometimes overly generous nature. So far though, it has all worked out and we are still viable.

“That brings up this next question,” Martha said tentatively. “Are you ready for this?” Hank gave her a look of caution, but I assured them all was well; no one had yet overstepped their boundaries. Now I was curious. “Why should I buy from you. Why not go directly to the artist?” “Aah!” I chuckled, “that is an often-asked question with no easy answer.” I explained that going direct was definitely an option. Because of all the information we provide concerning the artists, it is not that difficult to search them out. We feel it is worth the risk because their story is a large part of the value of the work. “But be assured,” I said frankly, “these people are not unsophisticated to the value of their art. They are very much aware. They deal with us in the first place because we strive to be fair and trustworthy. If we are not, they have numerous opportunities to sell their wares elsewhere.” The simple answer is that much of the art we display is an investment of years of research, a lifelong venture into the wellbeing of the artist, and a commitment to helping them improve their financial situation and reputation. “We advertise, promote, and attempt to help create a future well beyond our place in the timeline for them and their art,” I explained. “Ours is not a one-off purchase. We are all in this together for the long haul.”

“Also, our inventory is vast, varied, and well-thought-out. Work like this is not created in a vacuum.” I told Martha that we work closely with the artists to provide positive input and background information which helps them in the creative process and allows formulation of a plan for personal progress. In the model developed by early traders, we educate ourselves about the art, culture, traditions, and lifestyle of each individual artist. We know their strengths, goals, and creativity intimately. We have also brought together producers of the Sumac plant with basket weavers, high-grade and natural turquoise with silversmiths, wool growers with rug weavers, and designers with artists looking for outside inspiration to expand their creative process. We tell their stories and support them through thick and thin. Just then Steve, who was sitting at the computer behind us, chimed in. “We buy and sell on faith.”

“Alright then,” said Marge. “My last question is, why are you here?” “That is a great question, one that my wife asks me at least once a week. For one thing, no one in their right mind would hire either of the most opinionated, untrainable, and curmudgeonesque individuals in southeastern Utah. Other than that, the simple answer is that we want to be here. We are privileged to live in one of the most scenic and wondrous landscapes in the world. Look around you at the quality of the art we are surrounded by, and the people who create it are all amazing in so many ways. We get to meet and greet interesting people from all over the world, which allows us to expand our knowledge and understanding to a point just-past redneck. This is a great place to be.” “Great!” said Marge. “Thank you,” said Hank and out the Kokopelli doors they walked.

Steve turned in his chair and said, “Well, that seems to have been a wasted effort.” “Yeah, well, like Dad used to say, ‘You gotta’ throw mud against the wall just to see what will stick.’” I wandered toward my office, wondering what I had said that turned those people off. The next morning, I was late getting to work because I had to pick up some onions and asparagus for Frances at the cafe. As I walked in the front door, Steve was sitting at the computer reading the morning reports. Priscilla looked up from cleaning the glass and said excitedly, “You should have been here earlier. I made a great sale. This couple from Pennsylvania just walked in and bought Ruby’s Red Mesa rug right off the wall. I didn’t have to say a word. They went right up to it and said they wanted to buy it. Easiest sale I ever made.” I looked to Steve, but he wasn’t acknowledging anything. “Congratulations,” I told Priscilla, “Good job.”

No comments: