Thursday, May 18, 2006

West Southwest

As a family, my wife, children and I rarely take true vacations. We attend Laurie's family reunion every summer, and, when possible, I take them along on trading post business trips. Working in a family business consumes a great deal of personal time, so, when either Steve or I leave, the remaining partner is easily overwhelmed by the details of day-to-day operation. When it comes to family relations, I have learned a lot from my Navajo neighbors. The joining of blood; marriage, children and kinship, is one of the cornerstones of Navajo culture, and it is nurtured and protected. I find these ideals true and meaningful as well, and factor them into my daily routine.


The Family @ Disneyland

So, when my wife and kids presented me with the idea of vacationing at, "The happiest place on earth," I conceded, albeit reluctantly. I had heard of the merchandising genius of Uncle Walt's progeny, and was uncertain about the cost of discovering this true happiness. I was also troubled by the prospect of being "moooved" about by the Disney cast through endless chutes and pressing gates, much like Grandpa Washburn's steers at branding time. My personal outcome might not be quite as drastic as that of the steers, but I was certain my equilibrium would suffer the effects of motionally disturbing mechanics.

I admit that I tried to redirect my family by enticing them with Tasmanian Devils or floating down the Amazon River from Pongo de Manseriche to Belem in Brazil. Not interested! Laurie and the kids immediately formed a united front. The decision was to drive to Salt Lake City, pick up our niece Kelsi Jean, fly into Long Beach and begin the adventure. Renting a car, we drove down the coast to Sea World and the San Diego Zoo, then we headed back north to Disneyland and California Adventures Theme Parks in Anaheim.

I have read that the ultimate female deity in Navajo culture, Changing Woman, dwells off of the Southern California coast. There, she maintains a magnificent floating island home where she receives her mate, Johonaa'ei, the Sun Bearer, at the end of each glorious day. What the heck, if these two Navajo supernaturals can tolerate the frantic freeway systems and crushing crowds of greater Los Angeles, then so might I. There was even a chance that I would spot the passionate pair at Disneyland. What better place for a couple of mythical figures to take time off and go unrecognized.

We actually had a really good vacation; it was nice spending uninterrupted time with my family. Our nephew Eric, who is attending graduate school at UCLA, came by and thankfully helped us "Fast Pass" our way through the theme parks. The kids were captivated by the sights and sounds of big city life, and effused with excitement. Personally, I think Spenser was charmed by the quantity, and quality, of young ladies spinning in and out of his field of vision. He was totally unintimidated by his new surroundings, and seemed to find them fascinating. In his mind, California was a new world to experience and explore. I believe Spenser is going to prove hard to hold back, and will hit the ground running when it is time to escape our custody.

Alyssa kept us digitally connected to our homeland through text messaging and on-the-spot transfers of updated images to friends and family. She is a skilled reporter, and has the uncanny ability to walk, talk, eat, absorb and relate her surroundings while accurately manipulating a keypad at high speed. McKale proved to be our most accomplished shopper, willing to "share the wealth" at selected opportunities. Unlike the rest of her frugal family, she willingly provided those close to her with treasures of baubles and beads to remember the trip. She is a true and unselfish gift-giver.

Laurie kept us all going in the proper direction, made sure we were presentable to the public and oversaw our overall health and well being. She is steady and strong, much like her pioneer ancestors. I bossed everyone around; made snide, cynical remarks; grumped; caused dissension among the ranks; and generally had a grand old time. It was fun!

With warm regards,
Barry, Steve and the Team.

Copyright 2006 Twin Rocks Trading Post

No comments: