Thursday, January 13, 2005

The Man in the Maze

The "Man in the Maze" is one of the most common and meaningful images in Southwest art. The design is relatively simple; a rounded maze with a man at the top. Legend has it that this motif was created to illustrate the emergence of the Tohono O'odham people of Arizona's central valley.


Navajo Baskets

To the O'odham, the man of the maze is known as U'ki'ut'l, and is also referred to as Elder Brother. The design reflects the various cycles of life, eternal motion and the countless choices confronting us during our travels through this existance. Correct choices lead to wisdom and understanding, a balanced and harmonious life. Wrong choices lead to pain and distress.

One of our Hopi friends described the image as a commentary on human existance, explaining that the maze represents our passage through life and Elder Brother the ideal man. As we proceed on our journey through the labyrinth, we are given the opportunity to acquire such traits as kindness, wisdom, patience, love, understanding and compassion. If we are successful in our quest, we end the journey at the top of the maze, where Elder Brother resides; if not, we are given a return visit and another try. The themes of living productively and reincarnation permeate the story.

Many other tribes and artists have adopted the design, and developed various explanations to fit their personal needs. The motif is reproduced over and over because it looks and feels good, and adapts well to differing artistic styles and techniques. Just as people often interpret Kokopelli to fit their individual circumstances, Elder Brother and the maze are frequently enlisted to explain a myriad of beliefs.

The reason for these varying interpretations may be that we are all traveling different paths, and attempting to interpret the signs on the road of life is tricky at best. Space, time, and reality can be difficult to quantify emotionally. Each of us attempts to explain and navigate our course as best we can. What we must remember is that everyone else is also doing the best they can under their own personal circumstances.

I have come to realize that living rationally and peacefully is no easy endeavor. A combination of reflective study, open objectivity and principles built on reason is an imperative. One must adapt to those with whom we share space, if only to improve our lives and mental state. I am hoping my cognitive and emotional understanding will continue to develop at an acceptable rate. I would hate to suffer a damaging loss of momentum or integrity.

For me, the whole process of traveling causes a great deal of brain pain. I am incessantly running headlong into the walls of the labyrinth and bruising my bumpers. It is hard to remember the roads I have correctly and incorrectly traversed. Previous mistakes and missteps are quickly forgotten, and I have a terrible time anticipating those bone-jarring, bumps. My view of the facts is often different from the rest of the civilized world. As my son Spenser often says, "You have a creatively unique version of reality."

At any rate, the Man in the Maze design is certainly thought provoking and inspiring. I am considering a tattoo of the image, and also considering one for Spenser. The design constantly reminds me that life is an ongoing quest for knowledge and understanding. It seems natural to explain the mysteries we face on a daily basis using such symbolism. I know I must continue to strive for the wisdom to improve. Up to this point I have struggled, At some future date I hope the correct and wise solutions to life's tough questions will find me. I can only hope to do better, and work toward the ideals of Elder Brother, otherwise I may find myself enduring a return trip.

With Warm Regards,
Barry, Steve and the Team.

Copyright 2005 Twin Rocks Trading Post

No comments: