Thursday, July 15, 2004

Mirage World

As we sped down the Reservation highway, I looked over at Spenser in the early morning light and realized he was sound asleep. Reclining in the passenger seat next to me, my son had pulled a blanket over his head and was breathing noisily. He has been busy lately; scout camp has been his home for the last three weeks. Early mornings and late nights had been the norm, and he was exhausted. I had selfishly asked Spenser to accompany me on this trip in order to spend some quality time with him. I had also hoped it would allow him the opportunity to share his recent experiences with me. Up to this point there had been only snoring, no sharing.

Glancing up the highway, I noticed a layer of haze floating above the Reservation landscape. The pre-dawn sun lit the film in a peculiar manner, causing it to shimmer, and the gentle breeze swirled it into easy spirals. The haze glowed with red, orange, yellow and purple highlights. The overall effect was beautiful and eerie. This scene made me think of the mirage-world the Navajo people frequently mention; a mystical place somewhere between the real and spirit worlds which is rarely accessible to humans.

I rolled down the window and gulped in a cool breath of smoky air. The haze must have drifted north from the fire near Payson, Arizona Looking out over the uneven landscape gave me a surreal sense of being out of step with the real world. I put my arm out the window and imagined my hand touching the landscape, skipping over it as the truck sped on. The wind rushing under my palm and fingers made be think I could actually feel the earth as it rushed by. Mesa tops rolled into canyon depths under my outstretched hand. I imagined the texture of the juniper trees, and tapped my fingertips down rocky slopes. Hard to reach clefts and high points suddenly became easily accessible to my floating hand. I felt I could reach into the edge of the mirage-world and test its mythical presence.

Spenser groaned in his sleep and rolled over, turning his back to me and the cool breeze that rushed through the window. His utterance of discomfort interrupted my fantasy and brought me back to reality. The scene spreading out before me slowly transformed itself back into a hazy, albeit spectacular, Reservation morning. The magic was gone, but the memory had fixed itself in my mind. I contemplated how we interpret our surroundings in this modern day and age. With the aid of science, we are provided with rational reasons why things are the way they are. I can easily see how an early society might witness similar events and try to explain them in a manner they could understand.

An occurrence such this could well have been interpreted by these ancient people as evidence of another dimension. The vision was unique, impressive and a wonder to behold. My emotions became entangled with my senses, and for a brief moment I saw proof positive of an alternate realm; or at least I began to understand how a natural phenomenon can be interpreted as such. As human beings we are constantly looking for proof that there is more to life than what we experience in our daily existence. Why not bear witness to this idea through a unique, early morning display of light and color?

I sometimes get carried away with cultural symbolism. Studying this culture on a daily basis gives it the opportunity to get into the recesses of my brain, causing it to leak out at the most inopportune moments. I find it entertaining and exciting to block out the modern world and view my environment as the people of the past may have viewed theirs. The mythology of the Navajo has served me as an introduction to a variety of other cultures. I am constantly amazed at the parallels in different belief systems. They often speak as a voice to those looking for proper direction and hope. These tales of trials and tribulations can leave us trembling, but if properly managed, there is hope, personal growth and an eventual outcome revolving around balance and harmony.

I looked again at my son, and wondered what history our family would create. I hope our history will be built on a healthy respect for others and what they believe and hold dear. I am also hopeful that we can dispense with the nastiness in our world, including the greed, jealousy, hate and misunderstanding. In a perfect world we might begin to realize the enlightened ideals so common in myth and legend.

Becoming frustrated with Spenser and his lack of conversation, I decided it was time for drastic measures. Jamming on the brakes and leaning on the horn brought the young Jedi quickly upright and out of his aggravating slumber. "Darn jackrabbits," I shouted. Shaking off his initial shock, Spenser stared at me and said, "There was no jackrabbit, your reputation for stunts like this is well known . . . What do you want?" "Just to talk, little dude, just to talk." I responded. After all, you cannot build a memorable tradition without a little trickery now can you?

Copyright©2004 Twin Rocks Trading Post

No comments: