Friday, August 29, 2003

Alicia, and the Red-Head Kid

Living, and working in the shadow of the Black family of Navajo basket weavers is intimidating for young Alicia Nelson, daughter in law of the matriarch of Navajo basketry, Mary Holiday Black. The Blacks have seemingly won every basket weaving award imaginable. Mary Holiday Black is primarily responsible for reviving and revolutionizing the art. In doing so, she has been compared to the legendary Maria Martinez, has won an endowment from the National Endowment for the Arts and has been awarded the Utah Governor's Folk Art Award. Her name is so well known, in fact, that she has even been featured in People magazine.

Navajo Basket Weaver Alicia Nelson
Navajo Basket Weaver Alicia Nelson

Sally Black has been mentioned in numerous publications, has won the Gallup Ceremonials and has also won blue ribbons at the prestigious Santa Fe and Heard Museum markets numerous times. Lorraine Black and Peggy Rock Black are equally well known, and have been invited to demonstrate at venues all over the United States, at the 2002 Winter Olympics and even in a few foreign countries. The Black family name is synonymous with Navajo basketry, so what does a young daughter in law have to do to get noticed?

The other morning we were busily cleaning the trading post; trying to rid the glass of tiny finger and face prints. Seems that on these hot days the glass is just too cool and inviting for our young guests to pass up. The temptation to put one's nose, tongue and sticky hands on the cool glass overpowers the cautionary comments of their parents. Many of the prints can be, I am sure, traced back to master Grange, Steve's young, red headed son, and resident "Wild Man." Cleaning the glass show cases, and vacuuming the many stones Grange imports into the trading post in an attempt vandalize our vacuum cleaner, make up our morning routine. Forgive me for the digression, but I will get to the point soon.

Grange Simpson at Twin Rocks Trading Post
Grange inside Twin Rocks Trading Post

As we were pursuing our morning routine, Alicia come breezing into the store with something in a black plastic bag that looked suspiciously like a basket. We must have missed her arrival due to the horrible racket caused by the exploding vacuum. "Someone search that kid's pockets before he gets past the front doors," I suggested. As I reached to open Alicia's treasure bag to expose the basket, Alicia gently brushed my hand aside and said, " I worked very hard on this basket." "Okay" I said, reaching again. Laying her hand on mine, and looking me directly in the eye she said, " It took me six weeks, and a great amount of effort. It is very fine, and as you are always stressing, symmetric to a fault."

"Grange, is that gum in your mouth," I asked the miniature terrorist. I once again reached for the basket, only to be stopped. "Pay attention," Alicia said. " I am trying to tell you that this basket is one of my best works ever." Alicia finally had my attention. Grange had left the building and I was wondering what he had in his hot little hand as he exited. I know that Alicia has been wanting to express her creativity and show the world that her weaving talents are equal to those of her in-laws. The last few baskets she has woven have been fantastic, so I knew that she had the talent. Mary taught her to weave, so her training was excellent. Through past conversations Alicia had expressed her frustration at not getting recognition for her efforts, and wanted to know what she could do. Quickly I opened the bag and brought her basket to light before she could react (I had been in training with my nephew, so I was fast). " Wow, Alicia, this really is a great weaving," I said.

This frustrated artist had produced one of the finest, well woven baskets I had seen in a very long time. It was truly impressive. The weaving is twenty-one inches in diameter, forty-two rounds, and each round is slightly less than one quarter inch. The choice of color is excellent and the theme is extremely interesting. The basket depicts rain and Lightning Yeis, with stars and rain clouds. This was an exquisite weaving. "Alicia you have certainly impressed me." I said. "Now let's see if we can let everyone else know about you." I feel that due to her talent, determination and desire, Alicia Nelson has the ability to be one of the next in line for greatness in the world of Navajo basketry. As Alicia exited the store beaming with pride and satisfaction, in walked Grange the Monster Boy! "Hey where did you get that bracelet ?" I asked. The severity of his crimes continues to escalate.

Copyright©2003 Twin Rocks Trading Post

No comments: