Friday, April 19, 2002

The Perfect Summer

I have always been an early riser. I like getting up before the dawn to prepare for the coming day. Getting up early makes me feel physically aware, and jump starts my senses. Not only do I feel more alive in the morning, rising early seems to provide me with a more energized start on new adventures. I also enjoy the sun's daily rebirth, which frequently rewards me with spectacular beauty. The downside of my pre-dawn excursions is that by nightfall I am really tired and ready to go down. People who know me do not come by the house or call after 10:00 p.m. My wife and children actually jump to answer after hours telephone calls or the door when unsuspecting guests arrive late in the evening. They want to buffer the guest's reception from the "Ogre" I become. I need my sleep, and grow quite irritated when I am not allowed adequate rest. When I first met Laurie, I quickly realized that she was a night person. She changed my life and my sleep patterns. Now that we have children, Laurie has changed her sleep habits and is often up before I am; setting the house in order before sending the kids off to school. Periods of restful bliss are now as they should be, at least until my children become teenagers.

Recently I awoke with a start when my alarm clock began beeping. I am usually awake a good 15 to 20 minutes before the darn thing goes off, so I was surprised. My inner clock has served me well through the years, providing me the opportunity to rouse myself slowly and easily. This usually gives me time to regain my senses in other than a car crash type of awakening. As I groggily groped to shut off the alarm and get out of bed, I wondered at the diversity of my fragmented dreams. Not only was I disoriented and confused, I was stiff as a board and felt as if I had participated in a cross country wrestling match the previous evening. As I pulled myself together, scared myself in the mirror and made my way to the weight room, I realized that I was not in the proper mindset for an invigorating workout. I quickly amended my daily routine and began a program of simple stretching. It took a good twenty minutes just to straighten myself and get into the movements. But as I loosened up, my mind began to wander.... The concept of the perfect summer began to develop in my head.

I know that rising early and a good work out is an essential part of the plan. In my mind there is simply no better way to start the day. I envisioned such things as hiking the canyons, paddling the river and bicycling into the sunrise; all endeavors meant to stimulate the heart, mind and spirit. A healthy breakfast would follow, not too heavy; keeping nutritional needs in mind. On the agenda for late morning through early afternoon would be plenty of conversation and discussion of interesting topics on the porch of Twin Rocks. We can even provide a soap box for those people who are "fired up" about their subject of choice. We would bring in artists, medicine men, philosophers, theologians and antagonists. The focus would be their passion for the chosen subject. There would be plenty of comfortable seats, from rocking chairs, to bean bags, to futons. Comfort is essential; you can't have spirited conversation if you are not well settled. Remember that it gets hot in Bluff in the summer, so plenty of shade, cranberry iced tea and light snacks would be near at hand. At precisely 2:00 p.m., everyone would wander off to find a cool spot to rest; an afternoon siesta would be lovely. The evening hours would be spent on reflection, breaking into small animated groups discussing tangible and intangible thoughts and ideas. All the while a sharp inner eye must be directed to the natural world. Productions of nature take precedence over all else, and must be appreciated to their full extent.

We can't forget an early dinner. Since we have been so good during the day, watching our caloric intake and exercising the mind and body, a good dinner will be essential; and a large piece of dessert to top off the meal and the day. I can tell you right now that we have some great cooks around here. Laurie makes danish to die for, Susan has perfected pineapple upside down cake and oat meal raisin cookies, and Grandma Washburn creates pies that melt in your mouth. Yah man! I am there right now. A Bluff summer exploring the limits of your physical, mental and emotional endurance. A passionate mindset is essential when on an adventure of discovery and understanding. Family, old friends, new friends, soon to be friends - come on down here. Remember, many people believe Bluff is the center of the universe, so we better take advantage of all this energy, and direct it towards important issues and ideals. I can see it now, Bluff, Utah, the undisputed center of the universe. As you know, it is already the undisputed center of our universe.

Copyright©2002 Twin Rocks Trading Post

No comments: