Friday, January 18, 2002

No Blue Blood

Barry was gone over the weekend, so I had plenty of time to think about the state of the trading post. Generally I am running from one project to the next, not focusing on any one thing for long, but last weekend was different. Barry wasn’t here to cover for my distractions, so it was up to me. Being alone in the store for three days caused me to consider several things afresh; including my pedigree.

Barry and I have often wondered how it would have been to be born with blue blood. Although we have silver spoons in the store, we were definitely not born with one in our mouths. If our parents can be trusted, and, being severely honest, they have yet to deceive us, Barry and I are of the same genetic pool; we are both basically mongrels. I sometimes have my doubts about Barry actually being my biological brother, and Rose used to say something about finding him under a rock, but in general we are very similar. Our maternal lineage is Portuguese and our paternal ancestry is mostly Scandinavian, with a hodge-podge of other things thrown in.

Several years ago, our sister decided to trace the family’s genealogy. After checking a few branches of our family tree, and rattling several bones that were better left undisturbed, she decided to take the prudent course and immediately terminated her research. She felt very strongly that there were certain bits of information that should not be brought to light, lest an unmanageable scandal break out. Therefore, we have never been sure of our true history. It is safe to say, however, that no royal blue blood flows in these veins.

On the other hand, I believe we may have developed a strain of something, a virus possibly, that has stained our blood a different shade of blue. I had never considered the possibility of having turquoise blood until Doug The Post Card Man caught me at the local convenience store Friday morning as I was rushing to get milk for breakfast and get back to the trading post in time to open. Doug had been in the trading post earlier in the week and had seen the display of unset stones Barry has placed in one of our show cases. The stones represent several of the very well known turquoise mines that are no longer producing. Doug was immediately captured, and began to investigate just how he might acquire one. Since he comes from a trading post family, Doug may have also contracted the virus. His eyes became large as saucers as he perused the stones, and he began to talk about a trade if possible, and an outright purchase if not. Barry and I generally take the position that the stones are not for sale, but we will let them go to certain people who have the addiction. Doug was showing all the signs necessary to become one of those people.

At the convenience store I informed Doug that Barry was very protective of those specimens, but that he could stop by the store, identify the object of his desire and give me the chance to make a case in his behalf when Barry returned. Doug was there when I opened the door.

Later that same day, John, who is in the terminal phase, stopped by for a visit. John informed me that he had contracted the virus about 30 years ago, on a trip through Arizona. During that trip he had purchased a piece of turquoise at Tuba City and had never been the same. He mentioned a pathology I was only just beginning to understand, and asked me if it was okay to display his symptoms. I readily agreed. He disappeared out the door and soon returned with a small satchel. The carrying case was of a mundane gray and a little worn; nothing that would attract the attention of other turquoise virus victims. Inside the bag were several items wrapped in small bathroom towels. When he carefully unwrapped the parcels I felt my fever rise. Inside were about a dozen bracelets displaying the finest examples of domestic turquoise. Royston, Number 8, Bisbee!

My head began to spin. John had what he called “samplers.” These were bracelets which incorporated several types of turquoise, or several stones from the same mine which had different colors and matrix patterns, into separate artistic masterpieces. My breathing became shallow and I thought I was going to faint. I tried on a few of the bracelets and was amazed at their beauty. Afterwards John thanked me for “allowing” him to show me the bracelets and promised to bring more next time. I could not hide my surprise at seeing so many beautiful pieces of turquoise or my enthusiasm for seeing additional samples on his next pass through Bluff.

That was the point at which I realized I too had contracted the virus and that my blood truly runs turquoise.

Copyright©2002 Twin Rocks Trading Post

No comments: